The ultimate “smother over nachos” dip.
This cheese dip is amazing. It reminds me of the dip that comes smothered over nachos in cinemas and other places. It has that delicious, moreish taste that you want to keep eating.
It does pay you to slowly cook the garlic and onions. I mean, slowly. I think I spent over 20 minutes over a shallow heat softening everything up.
One final note is that I like a spicy dip and with the amount of Jalopeno’s below, it is quite tangy. You can increase or decrease this amount to taste.
- 225 g Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 8 g butter
- One large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 small white onion, very finely chopped
- 375g evaporated milk
- One small tomato, very finely diced
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 113g jar Jalapeno Peppers
- 1/4 cup coriander/cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 – 3 tbsp milk
- Toss the cheese and cornflour in a bowl to coat.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, melt the butter, then add the garlic/onion, cooking until both are soft, but neither are brown.
- Add tomato, juices and all, and cook for 2 minutes until tomato softens.
- Add evaporated milk and cheese. Stir, then add chiles and Spices.
- Add the cheese, stirring continuously.
- Add salt to taste – the amount required depends on the saltiness of cheese used
- Stir through the coriander.
- Add a splash of milk to thin down the sauce. The sauce will thicken as it cools, so some trial and error may be required.
- Remove from heat. Serve warm or at room temperature – it will be soft and scoopable even when it cools.