A great gravy for sausages etc. Don’t go overboard with the Marmite.
- Two small onions
- Two carrots
- Two sticks celery
- 50g mushrooms (standard / wild / porcini)
- One clove garlic (chopped)
- fresh ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Two bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Two tablespoons plain flour
- Two teaspoons marmite
- One tablespoon tomato puree
- Two tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- Peel the onions & carrots, then rough chop along with the celery and mushroom, then add to a large pan. Add a splash of oil and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes until browning and soft. Stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour, Marmite, tomato puree, chopped garlic and vinegar and stir well.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for ten mins until reduced and thicker.
- Pass all through a sieve and scrape to get all of the flavours out.